Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LAVs Vs Tanks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:57 am 
Sea Wolf

I've found that I seem to be using too many tanks on some of the maps I don't know so well. I think this is due to their mobility, I can load them into a transport and get them out again on the same turn, making it easy to bolster the front line.

Problem is, this isn't very cost effective, and a LAV line backed by things like Mortars will work their way through this no problem... but then LAVs aren't the best vehicles for breaking through.

I'm being vague, but if anyone has any experience with the Tank obsession, please let me know how you broke it (if it should be broken), since I see lots of LAVs being used by good players... I just haven't got my head around Mortars and LAVs yet due to their mobility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:14 am 
Sea Wolf

I was the same way, but after playing against Tiger and Morton a few times, I found my front lines being torn apart by their LAV/Mortar combos. It used to be that I always used tanks to invade countries, and drive right into their capital, but there have been too many times I've been burned by this, especially in the first round.

As PL, if you plan on invading a country and place some transports/tanks ready to come in, and then find it is a disclosed enemy SA with LAVs covering the border, you're in trouble. Sure, tanks pack a punch, but in a battle like that they will be overwhelmed.

I still use this tactic on occasion, but I'm a lot more careful with it. I tend to choose a LAV/Mortar front for invading when I can't see an immediate need to drive in fast.

So generally, if you know you'll have a border fight that will last a while, you want LAVs and Mortars, as they are the most cost effective units to take a toll on the enemy.

If you have the extra cash though, a tank line with a mortar back line has a huge amount of punching power, and can help you drive into a territory quickly, as shown to me by the player AI in the clan war. Its a rare situation where you can do this though, usually when you have a med or high ally with only one front you need to worry about.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:22 am 
Developer

I have another problem - LAV obsession :) that led to 8-10 transports on Antarticus at turn 8 :)

I've used lots of them because the first 10-15 games I've played FNU. After several games as PL I've started to use tanks.

Solution: play several games as FNU and take defensive strategy from the start. Then buy lots of transports to move your cannon fodder and mortars(they are reusable and you'll have enough of them sooner or later). Don't plan long transport operations. Remember that a transport with 2 mortars is a good offensive weapon. Plan 1 more turn ahead to load LAVs, move them(x2) and unload. Always try to keep 1 transport with LAVs to patch holes and buy mortars for revenue.

Try Antarcticus planet to practice - there are lot's of good setups for this strategy.

But remeber to change you plans if needed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:29 pm 
Sea Wolf

I learned the value of LAVs in my challenge against Victor. I tried to hold a border with tanks, and he overwhelmed me with LAVs and Mortars. I realized my error and now I pimp the LAV/Mortar combo as hard as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:38 pm 
Tough Nut

The lav mortar combo is great for you antarcticus-only players. For people who play on larger maps such as new paradise, invasions need to be quick, particularly in the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:00 pm 
Sea Wolf

Generally yes. Naval operations are usually best with the quicker units. But play a game against Pitor or MortonHQ on one of those maps, and you'll find that those slow masses of LAVs and Mortars can be almost unstoppable as your tanks start to dissappear.

I fully agree about naval operations though. If its an attack between continents, Heavy Bots and Tanks work wonders. LAVs and Mortars are almost obsolete on Wasserland especially.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar