Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:58 am 
Tough Nut

I just got another idea. Maybe some kind of option to limit the amount of time a player can take per round. This would speed up the games abit. Just keep it as another option though because some people cant be there 24/7 to play.

Options like 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 min rounds.

Doesnt mean you have to wait 30 mins before the next round just means the player can take UPTO or LESS THEN 30 mins for there round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:45 am 
Developer

How do you want that to implement? You can always change time on a local machine and forbidding submitting a turn is not an option. This game usually requires lot's of time to think - to make it interesting. It's not an RTS and only requires 2 players - if you want more- send some challenges (BTW, you can't Reject a challenge for now, but this feature is high in priority list)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:20 am 
Tough Nut

I was just suggesting it as a feature.

To work around someone setting back the time or something such as that you could allways apply a clock on the server side and after XX mins (whatever was selected) it then just sends the info to the next person and includes something like 'Player XXXXX did not respond dureing the set time limit. It is now your turn."

Very easy to implant actualy.

Only reasion I suggested this (and I know that this is a strategy game such as risk and turns can take along time to do and plan out) but for the people that dont have 5 hours a day to play a quick game they could start a game with a 2 or 5 min round limit and be done before they have to leave and the other player doesnt have to wait for the first player to get back from work or whatever he had to go do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:33 am 
Developer

On 2002-12-26 08:20, TooKool wrote:
I was just suggesting it as a feature.

To work around someone setting back the time or something such as that you could allways apply a clock on the server side and after XX mins (whatever was selected) it then just sends the info to the next person and includes something like 'Player XXXXX did not respond dureing the set time limit. It is now your turn."

Very easy to implant actualy.

Only reasion I suggested this (and I know that this is a strategy game such as risk and turns can take along time to do and plan out) but for the people that dont have 5 hours a day to play a quick game they could start a game with a 2 or 5 min round limit and be done before they have to leave and the other player doesnt have to wait for the first player to get back from work or whatever he had to go do.

Then they can do that without clocks... it's very painfull to loose even 1 turn in MA. Some things that should be implemented: periodical checking (every N minutes with a message like in The Bat mailer). Time since last connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:43 am 
Tough Nut

That could work.

Main thing this would be really usefull would be with multi players games with say 5 or more people if that ever becomes a possibility. Cause if you have 5 people all takeing 2 hours each then it will take forever meaning many many days to complete it.

And you wouldnt have to lose the turn so to speak. You would still earn credits and all that good stuff just lose the movement because you took to long. (You could have a ticking clock bottom right corner of the screen that shows time remaining.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:10 am 
Veteran

yes has anyone played squdies?
you have alot of choice on game speed u can do like week day 1 hour 30 min 10 min
5 min
this could mean in a 5 min game u are rushed adds an elment of panic instead of being able to click undo all day long nad getting your turns perfect
(nothing wrong with that i mite add)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:06 am 
Tough Nut

And remember chess. Its a tactic based game and It becomes totally diffent when you only have 30min overall thinking time.

So if there is a time setting there should also be things like:

Time overall,
Timeincrease after each turn (so you have to make it quick but can take long every n-th move when you plan your strategy)
maximum time per round.

I think these three settings with a clock displaying both sides current timelimits will allow many diffrent settings for the game.

You know having 15 min overall with 1min increase... This will truly be a blitzkrieg game;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:13 am 
Veteran

it could improve the game, but it would be very important imho that it is an option, so you can still play without. and the timelimit would have to be agreed on by both players, as it is no fun having a too long or too short timelimit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:14 am 
Tough Nut

The players change internal clock and cheat.

Possible solutions:

Everytime the players send informations to each others the current time of the player is added (4 bytes / 8 bytes per time message). So if some cheats the other get rid of it. If this happen the players should change to a third party clock. Maybe use an international timeserver or a timeserver of wargaming.net or something.

I also think for friends against friends there wont be a cheating problem. Both will notice it.

The needed timeresolution should be 100ms and a range of one hour. So actually its 36000 possible numbers. So its actually two bytes needed to send time informations via inet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]