Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Training scenarios
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:16 pm 
Sea Wolf

From my Mentoring games and experience, it seems that new players have two major strategic principles that they need to learn online.

1) How to invade neutral countries successfully, by using enough units that you can keep it against the guerrillas. New people often invade countries with one unit. Maybe they are used to the fact that it seems easier against the AI to break a country with a unit or two so you can pummel the guerrillas with artillery and planes and lose few of your units. This tactic doesn't go over too well online :)

2) How to use transports. These are absolutely imperitive to a good strategy, and to bring your material to the front lines, but new people seldom realize how powerful transports can be until they face someone online.

I would recommend adding two training scenarios focused on these principles. They are so basic to a sound strategy they would be good training. These could also can give a new player the edge they need to be able to do well against the AI, and not get so frustrated with the difficulty right off the bat.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:19 pm 
P.L. Marshal

there is training scenarios where you fight guerillas invading with 5 tanks
there is also a scenario where transport usage being explained

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:26 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hmmm, its obviously been too long since I looked at them.

So why is it that people don't understand these principles then? I remember I didn't catch on until I went online and lost bad. Would it be good to have even more training in these? Or are too many people just skipping it entirely?

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:34 pm 
Sea Wolf

One way or the other, a ton of people skip ALL the singleplayer entirely and go directly online. I've had far too many conversations start with somebody walking into the chat room and asking "Hey, how do I play?" :evil:

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:35 am 
Sea Wolf

People just need to watch the replays that ship with the game... THAT is excellent training and taught me about things like LAV lines and the power of transports, long before I ever met anyone online.

I've been putting together a bunch of "HOWTO: Beat the AI" games using things like transports, a two games for every map (one for each side). Hopefully those will prove useful :) Just one more Wasserland game to go and I'm done.

I don't think the AI lets you get away with invading with one unit either... though I haven't tried.

Post subject: Well im new but...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:11 pm 
if you really play any sort of tbs or rts you should know the importance of transports, however, the guirilla thing was kinda hard to get used to... but i did the training so not really :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:29 pm 
Sea Wolf

Quitch wrote:
I don't think the AI lets you get away with invading with
one unit either... though I haven't tried.

I know this is old, but...

Actually, invading with one unit against the AI is quite attractive, and I picked up that nasty habit from playing the scenarios. Because of the AI's love of LAVs and Mortars as gorrillas, it is very tempting to send one LAV to die against the gorrillas, then sit back and pound the AI's units with rocket launchers and planes. In this manner you lose only the first unit, while if you join a border fight you take more damage.

Obviously in the long run this is not a good tactic, as the AI continues to get resources from that country, but in my limited tactical knowledge of the time I liked it better, if only because I lost less units. Of course trying this against a human player you'll find yourself in very bad positions...

NWO website:

Clan War website: