Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Higly enjoyable and addictive game
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:00 pm 
Levy

Just wanted to give a positive vote for Massive Assault...the game has a Panzer General II feel of play to it but that is not a detriment to the game... in fact there is more of a WWI trench warfare feel as you slug it out on the borders, hoping to finally achieve a breakthrough, before a new enemy secret ally is revealed, who then may outflank you...there is a premium importance for ranged weapons, as they are needed to break front line stalemates...where the problem develops concerns deciding to hold back some funds, so you can afford more expensive weapons later, versus the need for immediate troops to stuanch an aggressive enemy...the AI has been quite cagey at times.., for example, at one point, the Phantom massed units on a neutral's border which also bordered my country to the east....I moved a number of units to the border, awaiting for the invasion of the neutral.....the enemy on the next turn however, moved up long range rockets, launched missles over the neutral's territory at my border troops, then finished off many of them with air units...the remainder of the Phantom army pulled back and did not attack the neutral...it was a great trap and I fell for the bait!.....two elements however I thought if added would make for an even better game.....I think fighters should have been a viable unit, in order to counter the tac bombers....there is no air war in the game as tac bombers are only destroyed if you capture the capital...they can stage to another capital before thier base falls so they are fairly invulnerable until the end stages of the game....I would have liked to have seen either combat terrain benefits or a benefit to flank or rear attacks on a unit..I think, at the very least capitals could have had their own hitpoints to reduce before an enemy unit can enter... . perhaps though these may have caused an imbalance that the designers wanted to avoid.....one gameplay point to mention here...your units will still target wrecks if you drag your cursor over them, so don't waste the shots on a wreck, thinking that perhaps one hitpoint still remained. So look at the unit description, if you aren't certain, to check the hit point level... .anyway these are very minor quibbles to an otherwise fun game with a high replayability factor.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:09 am 
Developer

I'd like to thank you very much for such a good review of this game and glad you've enjoyed it.

It's also very pleasing that you are asking the same questions that were asked during development, so I'll post here some comments why we gave such answers to them as you can see in the game.

1) Capital with hit points:
If it has HP that means that there are forces. These forces can do some gamage. They need some resuorces. We thought that guerilla concept covers this issue.

2) shooting a wrek
Why we should prevent the player to shoot at a wrek and then UNDOing another unit's shooting and force him to do the other way (first - UNDO, then - shoot). There is an option to switch to "numbers" display of hit points so you'll be able to see overkilled units.

3) terrain bonuses, flank attacks...
This is the most hard point. While there are do direct bonuses for these attacks, you'll get an advantage of a flanking or rear fire when you'll be able to fire at more valueable units. So there is a flanking bonus but you have to work for it to outmaneuver enemy group of units and force him to expose more valueable ones. The other thing is that flanking a group allows you to kill a full-health unit during 1 turn instead of damaging 2 units. Remember that dead units won't fire back the next turn!
Anyway we followed the idea of simplest rules possible. We had an opportunity to implement advanced terrain bonuses, flanking, area effects... but that was left out...maybe it will be in MA2, we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:57 pm 
Sea Wolf

some terrain damage bonuses would add a whole new level to the game.

what would also be nice are soem more iral units that can be shot down. adding a true vertical demention

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:58 pm 
Levy

Thanks Sky for the reply..if I can ask, was there any consideration for another air unit and air to air combat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:15 pm 
Sea Wolf

i don't remember it being brought up in the concept test.

couldn't tell you about in house though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:24 pm 
Developer

There was a consideration. The problem that arouse sounds like this: How it will act. We came up with the only answer - during opponent's turn as a triggered ability. Maybe you have noticed that there is no oppfire? The biggest problem is the process of defining interceptor's target. Example: when we have 2 cities with bombers and 1 city with interceptors and there is allied rocket laucher that can be bombed by bombers from the first city, but not from the second. A player can use bombers from the second city to distract the interceptors and kill the rocket laucher. While this seems ok we decided that it would be better to balance bombers like we did it than implement rules without giving a player the way to control the behaviour of units.