Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mac vs PC?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:28 pm 
A friend of mine is a Mac owner and is contemplating buying the Mac version of MA. I was wondering: Can Mac and PC users play against eachother using the built in multiplayer functionality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:35 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes, they can play against each other, but there's at least one case where the Mac -> PC ingame messaging has problems. It shouldn't be much of a problem for him talking to you though, since I assume you have a way to contact each other outside the game.

A: Oooh look, a kitty!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:10 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hi UllerPSU,

I own the Mac version of MA, and, yes, we can play against those using the PC version. However, there are some things to know about the Mac version. According to VaNo here at wargaming.net, the port is based off an older PC version, and thus is not up to date in many ways.

For example, the PC version of MA has a "finish" option for those multiplayer games where an opponent fails to send a turn back within the given time limit. The Mac version doesn't. The PC version automatically names films by game #, opponent, who won, map, etc...the Mac version doesn't. There are several minor issues like this.

Additionally, I don't know if it is an old PC bug or not, but there is an important "recruitment bug" in the Mac version...if you make any changes at all to your disclosure after the recruitment phase, you better double-check those recruits' existence before sending your turn; 99% of the time they disappear (as if you never bought them) and you'll need to rewind and re-recruit them, and then redo the disclosure as well, with no changes along the way this time. Obviously, this bug can burn you if you're not aware of it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

There's a bug with the messaging too, as Artanis mentioned. Not sure if this is Mac to Mac as well, but all PC users report my messages being garbled. However, the "challenge comment" message is readable by PC users. Hence, that's where I've been saying, "Sorry, I can't send any messages in game due to using the Mac version but..."

VP recently released a patch to address some serious slowdown/memory leak problems with the Mac version, so I think (hope) they will solve these other problems, the only question is how soon... Note, the Mac version is still slow in general, and your buddy will probably need a computer significantly better than the system requirements. I'm using a G4 700 iMac, and it is only barely playable with all settings at low/minimum and after I do a "trick" to get a smooth Mac cursor via switching resolutions before I play (the cursor in MA "as is" is very jerky, which again indicates "something wrong" with the speed of the game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:02 am 
Thanks for the info. I'll let my friend know. Right now he is torn between MA, Homeworld 2 or Rise of Nations (all of which I own so I don't care which one he gets).

Post subject: Mac PC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:02 am 
I didnt play the pre patch MA because it was real buggy, specially with longer games. I must say that since installing the patch its been smmooth sailing for me. No slow down evven on the lagest map settings, no dissapearing units, and no CTD.

Still waiting for some multiplayer challenges to be accepted, so i cant really comment about the MP experience.

Maybe you could fill me in? How long does it take to finish a game on the 1 day setting? I guess it really depends on weher your opponent is sitting through a large portion of the game. How quickly can a game finish if the two participants play from beggining to end on a small to medium map? Large to uber large?

Im kinda new to this very addictive game. Mostly play Paradox games like EUII, Victoria, and HOI(Soon HOI2!, couple o days) Lots of Civ series experrience. I do love the hectic pace of battles. never thought turn based could give you anxieties but its a pleasant surprise to say the least!

I heard that an xpac/new version is out. Is this PC only? If it is i guess i need to get it for one of my PC platforms since i cant wait 6 months to a year for the Mac release.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Mac PC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:20 am 
Sea Wolf

iBaLkiD wrote:
How long does it take to finish a game on the 1 day setting?

On a 1 day setting, you can finish a small or large map within a couple weeks, but you might have a tough time finding opponents willing to do 1 day turns. The difference between small and large in this case is how much time you'll be spending on your turn each day. For smalls, it never takes more than 15-20 minutes (depending on how much time you take to plan your strategy, rewind, etc). However, for the largest maps, it can take up to an hour per turn in the late game.

That is the reason most people prefer to have 3 day limits, and play more games, so they have more flexibility. Rather than having one or two games that might take up a big chunk of your free time each day, you have a few more but the option to break them up into 3 day chunks if you get behind.

The best way to play a game quick is to talk to your opponent as you play, using some kind of messenger.

iBaLkiD wrote:
I heard that an xpac/new version is out. Is this PC only? If it is i guess i need to get it for one of my PC platforms since i cant wait 6 months to a year for the Mac release.

There are two additions to the Massive Assault series that you may be talking about:
1) Massive Assault Network(MAN) is the original game optimized for multiplayer performance. It has features to make it easier to help your multiplayer game experience (in-game chat for one), and comes with several more maps (including the newly released Trinity). It is currently available by subscription only for the PC. This version doesn't have much support for single player, however. http://www.massiveassaultnetwork.com

2) Massive Assault: Phantom Renniasanse. This is the much anticipated sequal to Massive Assault that should be coming out early next year. It will dramatically improve the single player with upgradable generals and additional game types, it will add many new units to each side, making each unique, and will add more map features such as destroyable bridges. I don't know about the plans for a Mac release, but I'm sure as you said it won't come for 6 months after that if they even do the port. See more at http://www.phantomrenaissance.com

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:14 am 
P.L. Marshal

if you and your opponent want to sit down and finish the game in one session (using chat to find opponent who will be online for nearest greatly helps) it will take not so much time f both players move fast enough.
in my experience small map takes 1 hours
medium map - 2-3 hours
large map - 5-6 hours (this usually can be played in 2 days)

however there are not so much people who want to play whole game in one sit
so you have to wait....with 1 turn per day it can take 2-3 weeks...in average..
there are some extremely slow players who tend to play one big game in half year.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:05 am 
Im knee deep into three MP games atm. My first opponenet is totally crushing me as i couldnt even beat the computer when i started playing him, oh well im the kinda shcclepp who dives right in, an arse whooping is a great way to learn especially using the replay's.

The other two games are pretty even, thought still early. At least i am more comftorable and wont make as many stupid mistakes as the first game. Some good fun though, very addicitive game.

The pace of game isnt that bad. My first game is a day a turn limit and we have plowed through 9 turns in two days. One more day should find my opponents picking pieces of myself out of his tanks treads!

I know i am a late comer but how active is the community for this game?
Are there any mods? Things dont seem dead around here but they dont seem uber livley either. Is that because the game has been out for a while and most things have been discussed into the ground so to speak? Happens to even the most poplular games after they have been out for a while.

Seems to be a deccent amount of active players so that definatley is positive. I assume a large influx of players will flood the community whent he expansion comes out.

Lastly i am playing this game on a Powerbook. I noticed a scenario editor for the PC. How is that working? If its stable and capable of making scenarios, campaigns, and maps then i would just go ahead and by the PC version of MA, since the xpac wont be ported over to the Mac for eons probably and this editor will more then likely never be proted over.

One thing i did notice is that i can download PC maps and replays on the mac no problem, but since the editor is probably a EXE there is no way i can run it on the Mac, only the goodies one produces with it. Is this worthwhile? Are people making alot of maps with this thing?

Sorry for the amount of questions, just overwhelmed by all of this gaming goodness. Would like to maximize my MA experiience is all. If there is that much more to offer, even at this point without the xpansion out yet, i might as well get the PC version now.

Thanks for all of your innput, and thanks in advance for the next set of questions being answered!

aLEKs

Post subject: Re: Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:48 am 
Sea Wolf

iBaLkiD wrote:
I know i am a late comer but how active is the community for this game?
Are there any mods? Things dont seem dead around here but they dont seem uber livley either. Is that because the game has been out for a while and most things have been discussed into the ground so to speak? Happens to even the most poplular games after they have been out for a while.

Yeah, as far as game discussions, most of them have died down. There are some very active players, and many that have this game as a backburner game that they always come back to. The players that have stuck with it are very loyal though, as they have seen the great attributes of this game that you have.

I think that because the next expansion is coming out soon, a lot of loyal players are waiting for it to come out before diving into the game again.

A large group of the active players can be found in the clan wars, which is where most of the development/"Modding" is going on. Since this game isn't very moddable, people have instead worked on fleshing out the multiplayer capabilities in the form of clan wars.

iBaLkiD wrote:
I noticed a scenario editor for the PC. How is that working?

There is a scenario editor, but it hasn't been used very much. You can make complete scenarios, but because they can't be played multiplayer, and most people like the multiplayer better, not too many have been made (you can see a few in the Custom Scenarios topic).

Note that you can't make your own maps. All the maps are custom tailored and designed using advanced 3d art tools. The devs have released a map designer so you can design a map, but the devs would have to take it and make it into a map you could play. That is where the planet Trinity came from... a player designed it, sent it to the devs, and they chose to make it into a map.

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject: Tahnks again!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:43 pm 
Yes. Strat games are all i play. The only non strat game i play is Counterstrike CZ and only with people who like to play with all the realism settings on, so its more, erm... strategic!

Because i play niche strat games like EUII or HOI, VICKY, CIV series,too many tunr based games to name, im used to the smaller communities.

Its how active and well supported(dev and community) they are that interest's me. Ma's community seems to be what im looking for.

I definatley really like the depth and scope of this game but i think i will just keep playing the Mac version and hold off for the Xpansion if it is to be a standalone version.

I could not findwhether it was to be standalone or an add on to the original MA on the official site. I think i remember it being standalone but i dont trust my memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:56 pm 
Sea Wolf

MA: PR will be standalone

NWO website:

Clan War website:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:23 pm 
Sea Wolf

[double post]

Last edited by Placid on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:24 pm 
Sea Wolf

[triple post??? something odd happening...]

Last edited by Placid on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

aLEKS,

Hold on...did you say that you're able to download PC maps and use them in the Mac version? If so, which map(s) and how? As a fellow Mac user, I was able to download Brimstone, but I couldn't play on it because apparently it uses a newer map file type and the Mac version still uses an older map file type.