Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Suggestion to change how reinforcements are handled
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:15 am 
Levy

Rather than appearing out of nowhere, I think that reinforcements should be generated at your city. At the moment it's too easy to blockade an area by simply dropping in new LAVs each turn. Once vehicles are created they have to be moved at normal speed, why do they get to start off anywhere on the map?

Starting at the city and then having to move forward from there would make the game more tactical, in my view. If nothing else, if it was an option then it'd give those players who have already got a long way with the game a chance to try it with a new twist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:37 pm 
Sea Wolf

they how come you can spawn units anywhere on your revenue turns?

it would make invading too easy. Just my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:02 pm 
Levy

It would make invading easier, certainly. But in a realistic way - you'd have to guard your borders and use ranged weaponry rather than just having light troops magically wherever is useful.

I think it's worth trying - it'd mean different tactics, but it might be good fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:11 am 
Sea Wolf

Realism =! Good gameplay

Not to mention it would involve an overhaul of all the maps due to city placement not taking this factor into account.

I don't see any reason for it. It would render LAVs useless, instead units that could be transported inside a turn would take over the role (unless the player had LAVs in a transport read y to go and kept up a chain).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:26 pm 
Veteran

Quitch wrote:
Realism =! Good gameplay

Not to mention it would involve an overhaul of all the maps due to city placement not taking this factor into account.

I don't see any reason for it. It would render LAVs useless, instead units that could be transported inside a turn would take over the role (unless the player had LAVs in a transport read y to go and kept up a chain).

Agreed.

However, I would like to point out something.
The cities in the middle of the countries are capitals, which are main objectives.
This isn't to say that each country doesn't have towns, cities, and other such areas where troops or militias could hypothetically be raised. Don't take the maps so literally.

Remember that in MA, as with most war games, the board is just a representation of a country, not exactly drawn to scale.
A whole country on Antarcticus isn't exactly as long as 5 tanks, nor can an entire capital city keep out invaders for 1-2 turns with one LAV.

Scaaaaale