Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: why domination so unstable?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:06 am 
Conscript

from what I know about programming and computer knowledge......
Domination this kind of game suppose is very easy to develop and very must be very stable. (let compare to some real time strategy game like warcraft and fast action game) but now I see a lot of thread on bug that say domination crush, got this bug got that bug.
This is turn base game. It will easier than any other real time and fast action game. Although it also got 3d rendering animation, but at same time, it not related to so much object.
Those game like warcraft , I know blizzard is big company compare to wargaming, but their warcraft project is very complicated. This include calcualtion on spell effect, object status, 2 spell mix at same time effect and so on....They can come out quite stable game. No matter what kind of game, if it is quite buggy and unstable, that is very hard for user to keep on playing. Especially for domination which got some amount of fans support on it and the game life can consider quite long compare to a lot of game so stable is a must for it to keep the no. of player growing.

Then another thing is different platform issue. I see some of thread saying about Mac player with PC player something cannot continue playing and have to "Draw" the game.

Suppose this turn base game should not have this kind of problem.
It related to storing the current state of object then transfer and load back to another player. It is not dependent too much on platform OS and hardware.

One more thing I will like to heard some opinion, do developer consider JAVa language for doing ths kind of game? Why not? It is Java slow? or hard to deploy in user's platform?
I think JAVA may able to solve the different platform issue.
That is 1 game call dominions 2( they say it develop by 2 person only)
Although it not developed by JAVA but it can run well on many platform(MAC,linux,Windows.....)

I wil welcome to heard some of your opinion on that. Maybe I can learn more from you feedback.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:09 pm 
Developer

Well, I don't think that MAPR was easier than RTS, say Warcraft.

The main problem: AI - when there are few actions happenning at the same time users tend to notice every little flaw of AI. In RTS you usually don't care if units attack one target or another as long as they attack. And in general all AI faults are harder to notice because the action is quick and draws your attention to it.

The next problem comes from sequentitive movement. If you add 3D animation then you must wait for each of your action to finish to give next order. That is BORING! We had to develop a system that allows you to give lots of orders to your units without any pauses(while resolving all conflicts). In RTS it's simplier - whoever is faster moves first, so no conflicts arise.

We also wanted to solve LoadGame abusing and created Undo feature: you may cancel any unit's action (firing at enemy, moving, travelling in transport). But the action of 1 unit can cancell actions of other units (and those actions may still be animated). So this feature complicates the problems of simultaneous movement.

You can always add fancy camera to sequentitive movement...this feature is not available in modern RTS.

Bugs is another problem... the problem of schedule, not a size of code.
For example one of the most complex parts of MAPR AI has no any crash bugs yet(some broken games come from bad scenario scripts).

In general I do think that RTS game engine is not more complex than MAPR. We shall see...

Last edited by Sky Keeper on Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:14 pm 
Developer

JAVA has no efficient compilers yet. But you want smth like good old Panzer General or Web based or ADOM you should not care.