Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Massive Assault original and now Domination
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:15 pm 
Veteran

Ok, same old story. You never fixed the single player MA game. Kept saying you were working on a patch to fix it. Never happened.

I bought MA hoping to play the single player game and have never been able to finish it. Yes, I sent you info on issues and was told you were aware of them and they would be fixed in an upcoming patch. Patch never came. This was at least a year ago. What a waste of my time detailing issues that was.

Now Domination is doing the same old thing. Constant crashes and lockups during single player. Mostly seems to revolve around the Career mode. Do you plan on fixing single player or will you once again focus all your efforts on multiplayer and ignore the single player game?

Here's a thought. Maybe if the game worked more people would buy it! Domination is the most bug ridden game I've ever played. After Massive Assault of course.

Promises, promises, promises...

Pay us a fee for playing every month and we'll give you a new map every month! Cool! 3 new maps in a year. I live in the US. We have 12 months a year. Are there only 3 months in a year in other places in the world? Wait, the subscription fees are based on a 12 month year. But the map releases must be based on some other calendar. Just so I can stay aware of when to expect new maps, please let me know what calendar map releases are based on.

Don't worry, we're working on that patch! It will be released shortly! Ok, shortly is certainly a subjective term. In this case, is shortly being measured in terms of half-life? What is the half-life of a single player patch for Massive Assault? 100k years? 500k?

Massive Assault, what an outstanding concept and design for a game. I applaud whoever came up with this idea. Unfortunately, what a pathetic execution of a great idea.

Please answer my questions.

I'm inquiring about Massive Assault in this forum because I would expect no response in the MA forum. That product is already out the door. I'm hoping you're still working on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:10 am 
Developer

Dear Brashen,

At first let me tell you that releasing buggy products is not the aim for any software development company, however EVERY product on market today has bugs. And the more complex the product, the more bugs it has.

For instance, MS Office itself has several thousand bugs. IE has tons of them making your browsing on Internet quite valnurable to spyware.

Every developer upon release gets recommendations how to deal with buggy performance of the software. And for the 99% of cases following such instructions fixes the most of the bugs.

So don't please blame developers for YOUR hardware problems, which is the most likely reason why game keeps crashing. In our office it keeps working stable on all the PCs, and publisher checked the game on varios computers as well.

In any case patches for Domination will follow soon, since it's impossible to predict the game behavior on EVERY PC. Hopefully you will manage to get through all the singleplayer missions then.

Alternatively, I recommend you to try developing product that requires 400 human-months of job with no bugs at all.

That's it,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:09 am 
Veteran

rofl

Funny how everything else runs rock solid on my pc. But ok, "I" must have hardware problems.

My biggest question, and still unanswered, is when can I expect the promised single player patch for the original MA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:51 am 
Sea Wolf

Posted last week (March 16) on the MA support forum in response to a similar question.

vadim wrote:
AFAIK

the patch is fixing multiplayer issues. And, we are sorry, it brokes some singl player games.

The best way to play singl is to play original version (189) or apply latest stable single patch (191)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:51 am 
P.L. Marshal

Brashen - know what?if you want to play original MA in singleplayer mode only (not online) - install the 1.89 version from CD without ANY patches and play...the MA 1.89 was very stable with minimum bugs.

and btw - i do not experience ANY fatal bugs or crashes with MA-domination and play it witout any problems..the only bugs there known to me is "in-game chat bug" and bug with aircrafts but both can be avoided easily and irrelevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:05 pm 
Sea Wolf

I understand wargaming.net's POV, but I also think Brashen said some things that needed to be said.

A Problem Exists

Setting the singleplayer woes aside for the moment, let me focus on one issue: Wargaming.net has clearly dropped the ball with the MAN map-a-month promise and has not, to my knowledge, rectified this situation to date. (That three maps have been delivered as promised and that perhaps more maps are on the way in future months is all certainly positive, but this is what should have happened all along, and does not make up for the many promised maps that were not delivered.)

Of course, I understand that working on Domination took huge amounts of wargaming.net's time and there may be other reasons why the maps never got released, etc. Nevertheless, the MAN promise was not delivered. This is a problem. This problem needs to be acknowledged. This problem needs to be rectified.

Wargaming.net, you have many patient MAN subscribers who enjoy your game enough that they have endured while their MAN subscriptions fell short month after month. Don't you think it is worthwhile to make sure these core players are happy? Remember, happiness with how your company has dealt with MA/MAN is a significant encouragement for these (and others with whom they communicate) to purchase the new product, Domination.

My Proposal for a Solution

Note, because I am using a Mac, I don't even have the option to play MAN. Thus, I don't have any personal stake in this matter. Here is my proposal: It seems only fair that wargaming.net give past MAN subscribers x free months of play where x = the number of months no map was delivered during their subscriptions. What do you think?

It is only reasonable for fans to doubt whether Domination will be properly supported if support for a previous product was not delivered. Hence, I think it is important for the future of your company to fix this issue of the MAN map-a-month promise that I have taken as an example, as well as others, before concentrating all your efforts on Domination alone.

The Future of Wargaming.net: Other Important Considerations

On a related note, I maintain it would do wonders for this community if wargaming.net would release tools to modify Domination. For free, of course, because you want as many people as possible using these tools. The man-hours for creating maps/new mods is done (without pay!) by interested fans. Although creating a map editor and other tools would require quite a lot of time and effort by your company, please seriously consider the dividends. Get your fans to work for you. Wargaming.net has the potential to become a much more well-known company if after, say, 4 years, the Domination community is still thriving with tons of new maps, total conversions, etc.

The subscription model, even for those who already bought the game, however, will cause the community to dwindle. Yes, it might make a few extra bucks right now because some of the core fans will pay for it, but it hurts the future of your company. What you need right now is for as many people as possible to get addicted to the Domination multiplayer experience. Look at the long run.

Edit: Four maps for MAN correction noted. Since I don't play MAN, I didn't check this number. Also, it is acknowledged that two maps were provided for free for MA, along with a scenario editor. I consider these positive moves and wish more could be done in this direction!

Last edited by Placid on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:59 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Just one note about maps:
there were FOUR maps for MAN and TWO additional maps MA/MAN without additional payments.
As far as I know there were not enough players with subscription for financing of creating map each month, so main part of small resources was used for new version of progam - Domination, which one has new maps.
It's not official declaration, but only my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:48 pm 
Conscript

Simple solution:

Remove the advertising that says you'll deliver a new map every month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:37 pm 
Veteran

Mrakobes wrote:
Brashen - know what?if you want to play original MA in singleplayer mode only (not online) - install the 1.89 version from CD without ANY patches and play...the MA 1.89 was very stable with minimum bugs.

and btw - i do not experience ANY fatal bugs or crashes with MA-domination and play it witout any problems..the only bugs there known to me is "in-game chat bug" and bug with aircrafts but both can be avoided easily and irrelevant.

Tried. Was told by devs there were scripting errors which would be fixed in next patch allowing for completion of campaigns. Patch never came.

As far as Domination is concerned, what op-system are you running? Am I really the only one experiencing problems with this? I highly doubt that.

To the devs - I admit I was angry when making the previous posts. But as a consumer, I also feel I had a right to be. I was rude, so I understand the rude reply I received. I'm disappointed with myself for being rude, but the points I made I still feel needed to be made.

I've praised this series of games many times in the past and your games are still my favorites. This however, doesn't change reality. I know all the MA, MAN and Domination groupies are offended by my 'lack of loyalty,' as I'm sure they see it, but I really don't care. I don't have a groupie mentality. I call things as I see them. It's called honesty. A trait that seems to be more and more lacking in the world as time goes on.

I thank Placid for the support. I didn't expect that. Honesty and integrity are sorely lacking these days and I applaud those who have the strength to speak their minds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:20 am 
Levy

Brashen wrote:
As far as Domination is concerned, what op-system are you running? Am I really the only one experiencing problems with this? I highly doubt that.

works fine for me, on win XP.

Brashen wrote:
I really don't care. I don't have a groupie mentality. I call things as I see them. It's called honesty. A trait that seems to be more and more lacking in the world as time goes on.

Brashen wrote:
I thank Placid for the support. I didn't expect that. Honesty and integrity are sorely lacking these days and I applaud those who have the strength to speak their minds.

bla bla, my side is so morally superior, bla bla, our point must be valid then.

You're apologising for rudeness and in the same post you're practically accusing the devs of being dishonest, make people who disagree with you sound like "MA groupies", and put yourself and people who agree with you on a pedestal as "honest and integer"... bah.

The reality of this world is that small developers try to provide some services for their products, but support usually drops dramatically as soon as a new product is out. Not many people will be running to the store to get MA anymore, so they have to focus on Domination if they want to make a profit. Posts like this aren't going to change that.

I hope you can appreciate my honesty and integrity and applaud my strength for speaking my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:29 am 
P.L. Marshal

2 Brashen - i run WIndows XP...btw played domination on win2000 too
never had real troubles exepmt those two mentioned bugs
you probably have some hardware troubles there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:27 am 
Veteran

Glyptar wrote:
Brashen wrote:

works fine for me, on win XP.

Brashen wrote:
I really don't care. I don't have a groupie mentality. I call things as I see them. It's called honesty. A trait that seems to be more and more lacking in the world as time goes on.

Brashen wrote:

bla bla, my side is so morally superior, bla bla, our point must be valid then.

You're apologising for rudeness and in the same post you're practically accusing the devs of being dishonest, make people who disagree with you sound like "MA groupies", and put yourself and people who agree with you on a pedestal as "honest and integer"... bah.

The reality of this world is that small developers try to provide some services for their products, but support usually drops dramatically as soon as a new product is out. Not many people will be running to the store to get MA anymore, so they have to focus on Domination if they want to make a profit. Posts like this aren't going to change that.

I hope you can appreciate my honesty and integrity and applaud my strength for speaking my mind.

lol

not even worth a response

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:29 am 
Sea Wolf

Funny, because that is a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:02 pm 
Sea Wolf

Brashen has raised some valid points. Would anyone care to answer them, or does the fact that petty responses are the best people can muster tell us everything we need to know?

That the entire reason for MAN subscriptions, new maps, was not held to, disgusts me. MA was left to fall by the wayside, more bugged than when it first came out. Why on earth would I pay a subscription for a game when once already the developers have failed to stand by the promises made with their previous model!

Brashen has raised points that deserve answering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:24 pm 
Conscript

Man... I wish I would have gone to these forums before I bought this game.

This is the most trouble I've ever had from a game. Usually the smaller developers are more innovative, more enamored of craftsmanship and quality.

I'm pretty disgusted. What other games are associated with dream catcher and wargaming.net?