Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Background Animations
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:37 pm 
Sea Wolf

I turn off background animations for the opening screen of MAN 2. Although it looks a little strange to have a blank screen and a tiny menu in the bottom right hand corner, I like how it loads faster and don't care for stuff going on in the background anyway. (Perhaps in the future the menu could be enlarged/centered or something for those who turn off the background animations in order to make it more aesthetically pleasing.)

Once I click on my profile to play online, however, background animations return. I can't seem to find a way to turn them off here. Is there a way, or could such an option be added?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yeah happened to me too. Agreed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:18 pm 
Sea Wolf

when you are playing a game on line, there will be an option tab in the online game menue. You set up pretty much the same options that you pick in your offline set up and you can disable the background there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:30 pm 
Sea Wolf

Aha. :-) Fixed. It is odd that the only way to get to this menu is during a game, but okay...apparently there are two "parallel" menus. I thought that I had to reset all my preferences a second time while playing, and now this explains why perhaps that was the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:18 am 
Sea Wolf

i thought it was odd also. the background was driving me nuts and i kept going back to the initial set up to see what was wrong. Then i saw a post from tiger to someone asking about resolution where he mentioned the ingame option menue. fixed all my issues :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 am 
Sea Wolf

The idea is that each online profile has its own set of options, so that if two people in the household play MA, each can have their own options.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 am 
Sea Wolf

That brings up the question why have options in the main menu at all? It's not like man2 has much in the way of single player stuff that'll use it.

Also the options for the profile shouldn't be only availabe once you are in a game? (i never even noticed the button for it until Tiger told me where it was)

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 pm 
Sea Wolf

your have hit the main point, if there is to be a second set of options they should have a tab that comes on screen as soon as you enter the net. these are really small things, but each small thing adds to the frustration of new players just starting the game. long time players know that these bugs will be worked out and will stay the course. New players may not be so patient . I think everyone does have to keep in mind that this is a Beta!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:44 pm 
Sea Wolf

Maelstrom wrote:
The idea is that each online profile has its own set of options, so that if two people in the household play MA, each can have their own options.

If the game were written properly for a multi-user system, they'd be storing that data under %userprofile% and so they wouldn't need this two sets of options nonsense. Sorry, nothing against you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm 
Sea Wolf

Quitch wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:

If the game were written properly for a multi-user system, they'd be storing that data under %userprofile% and so they wouldn't need this two sets of options nonsense. Sorry, nothing against you :)

But not all people use multiple User Profiles on their computers when they have multiple people using the computer. Actually, most home computers that I have seen don't.

http://www.freewebs.com/7thwanzer

"Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his." George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:49 am 
Sea Wolf

So? The point is you can code either:

a) A solution which works in 90% of cases

or

b) A solution which works in 100% of cases.

The genius of it is that B actually requires no more effort than A, it's solely having paths to the user's app data directory rather than the MA one. No app should write to its own directory unless you're applying a patch, that's a very bad practice to have.

This is one area where I prefer Linux to Windows, every app for it was designed for multiple users, where as under Windows people go "Well, not everyone uses multiple users", which would be great, if the two systems didn't require exactly the same level of effort.

Thankfully, I believe Vista is going to have a My Games area, and hopefully that will light a fire under the backsides of developers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:36 am 
Sea Wolf

So for you to have two profiles for MA on the same computer you would be forced to use Windows profiles?

I don't think MA lends itself to follow that procedure. Its an online game which you conceivable have on any computer, not just your primary computer, since its an online subscription with a free download.

The best solution considering this would be to have the options stored online, not on your computer, so that wherever you play the game you get the same options setup.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:11 am 
Sea Wolf

Again, wrong, you could have multiple profiles for multiple accounts. Programs like Mozilla Firefox already offer (offered?) this functionality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:20 am 
Sea Wolf

I don't think that a common user has Firefox...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:28 am 
Sea Wolf

It accounts for over 10% of the browser market, many MANY average users have it these days. You're a bit out of touch there I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm 
Sea Wolf

Avarage users you say. Comon user I say :)

Btw I didn't find the options for turning of background online..