Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Time Limits on pbem-style games have to go
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:47 pm 
Tough Nut

The decision to put time limits on pbem-style games is just stupid. I am an adult living in the real world, not some kid in mommies basement with endless free time. When I open a turn I am subject to interruptions ranging from my wife walking in to talk to me about something to phone calls from clients, I cannot count on being able to play a turn without interruptions.

What possible purpose does it serve to have time limits on a game that is not being played live and online? I understand the need for time limits when my opponent and I are playing LAN style but to impose time limits on pbem style games is a stupid imposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:12 pm 
Tough Nut

HEAR HEAR HEAR

This is so true, and a big peeve of mine on this game. On many occasions I have had to just hit exit to Windows/menu and throw away all the moves I had made that turn, because real life intervened.

I don't play many games online, nor on consoles, because I am a busy person. I need to be able to hit ESC, Pause, or Save, and walk away from the game at any time, and be able to come back hours or days later and pick up where I left off. Otherwise I most likely won't be able to complete a game, or even start because I sit down knowing there is a good chance I will be interupted before I can finish a level/mission/turn.

Timers can be OK, as long as they STOP when you hit ESC to the menu or switch to a different application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Developers said that in the future will be added option to play without time-limit in the battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:28 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes, many of us are looking forward to the infinite time limit option being implemented.

I still think a "save turn" option would be beneficial too. This could be set to save any remaining time, for those who enjoy playing with a time limit. It would actually be a very handy feature for time limit games, and even for the type of games I enjoy with no time limit it would be a helpful option if for some reason the MAN 2 program needs to be closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm 
Tough Nut

Yeah, it isn't the timer that I have a problem with, it is the inability to pause that timer in the middle of a turn that I can't stand. I do understand the purpose of having one, and can even imagine it being unpausable if you are playing in online mode with your opponant watching. I just cant stand not being able to pause it and walk away for a bit.

I do like the idea of being able to save partial moves. It should even replay up too where you are when you load the save.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:17 am 
Sea Wolf

Tiger wrote:
Developers said that in the future will be added option to play without time-limit in the battle.

This "future" should come quickly, please. I just paid the infinity membership of $40(good deal)....and would now like to see infinity installed as Default on my games!!....You(MAN-Makers) are going to lose client base quickly if you don't act quickly....Since I've already pitched in my moolah, I act in good faith that you will do the right thing. If "the future" is going to be science fiction, then maybe i should reneg on my subscription. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:29 pm 
Developer

There will be an option to play without turn time limit in the next patch (for registered users only). The patch will be released next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:07 pm 
Developer

We're constantly patching this MAN2 beta adding new features and fixing bugs.

The next patch will have infinite turn limit option with many others (both for online and offline challenges). And we hope this to happen pretty soon, very likely by the end of the following week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:16 pm 
Sea Wolf

Man, that is great!
Thanks for doing the good work required to keep us warmongers happy and fighting.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm 
Sea Wolf

Indeed.

'Nuff complains, let's show some gratitude :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:56 am 
Veteran

Just a quick question, I couldn't find any mention of this anywhere else (is the search function broken?):

What happens when your 5/10/15 minute turn limit runs out? Is your turn skipped? Do you get the turn reset?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:02 am 
Developer

Your turn being sent on game server regardless to in what phase you are.
So try to timely finish any turn - so that your opponent won't get unexpected advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:39 pm 
Can Trial players choose 60, 120 minutes or Infinity?
If the time runs out, will the phase you are in be skipped?
For example: If I am placing reinforcements and haven't clicked on "End Phase", what happens to the units so-far placed?
Will they be there?
I know that I am not used to the time limits, and can easily "space-out" , especially a short one(15 min) and all-of-a-sudden: Turn Over!
Also, 15 minutes is impossible to play a solid game in, so going out and coming back serves the purpose and makes the time limit merely a nuisance.
So if I am doing that, it is not a "real 15 minutes".
I prefer Infinity, which allows for interruptions of any kind, though I see that a quick turn demands "Prioritizing certain moves/actions".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:49 am 
Developer

Trial players can set any turn limit but Infinite.

Infinite is for registered players only. Like other benefits (planets, various unit sets, extra untis, chess clock type games).

However, 120 minutes is really enough for any player to make the turn. You can always adjust timing regardless to whether you're to setup online game or challenge other player.

If your time is out, all actions you've done are saved. The unspent revenue is always saved in Treasury and carried over to the next turn.