Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What the hell did you do?!?!?!?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:51 pm 
Veteran

In the past if you trapped air units with and anti air and they couldn't move away they were eliminated by the 2nd turn. This seems to be no longer the case. I had three air units trapped for three turns and they were never eliminated and are now killing my units. When did you do this and why on earth didnt you tell us? How can I plan a strategy when the rules change at whim? I am very mad and will be even madder if I lose this game on account of this. :evil: :x

Post subject: Re: What the hell did you do?!?!?!?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:04 pm 
Supreme Marshal

Rodehard wrote:
In the past if you trapped air units with and anti air and they couldn't move away they were eliminated by the 2nd turn. This seems to be no longer the case. I had three air units trapped for three turns and they were never eliminated and are now killing my units. When did you do this and why on earth didnt you tell us? How can I plan a strategy when the rules change at whim? I am very mad and will be even madder if I lose this game on account of this. :evil: :x

It was not possible anytime, to destroy air unit by using anti-air (except movement of anti-air unit in the city with bombers). You can stop opponent's air units by using anti-air, but you should destroy them by using capturing of the city or destroying aircraft carrier or destroy opponent's helicopters by other your units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:25 pm 
Veteran

Not airplanes, the gunship choppers. I have had choppers trapped next to anti air and they disappeared on my second turn after that when I was unable to do anything about it.
Edit: And I know at least one other player who has had the same experience.

Post subject: Air Defense Units
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:41 pm 
Conscript

I clearly remember doing this as well? So what happens to helocopters 'entraped' by an air defense unit now? Nothing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:46 pm 
Sea Wolf

The disappearing gunship has never occured for me. However, I have been steadily disappointed by the AA function, which I think is not sufficient for a three dollar unit which has no attack and relatively little survival points.
BUT: I have learned that this is reality, and so I don't expect too much from those AA guys.
While in the AA units six-hex area(of glow):
Transport copters, if loaded, can still unload if an adjacent hex is available!
As long as the AA survives, the air unit itself is trapped, ready to be killed.
Attack copters can NOT shoot into an AA area of seven hexes, unless a "ground" unit kills it first, of course.
I still don't know whether an air unit can fly through the glowing area of an AA unit. I think they can.
See you on the battlefield!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:53 pm 
Conscript

I never seen air units destroyed by the AA.

I have been surprised, however, when a transport helicopter was able to unload a unit, which then allowed the newly unloaded unit to destroy the AA. That doesn't seem right to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 am 
Sea Wolf

I don't know why this seems unfair to you. The chopter can not land in the zone protected by the AA but it can land next to it and if it carries a bot it does not even have to unload in the protected zone. Just as you have to protect transports and other passive units, so do you have to consider protecting the AA unit. Personally, I think the AA units are one of the best additions to the original game and I find that in the right situation they are a great addition to your troops and can be the difference between winning or loosing .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 pm 
Sea Wolf

Rextrent wrote:
I still don't know whether an air unit can fly through the glowing area of an AA unit. I think they can.
See you on the battlefield!

They can fly "through" the area, but they can't drop their bombs in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:09 pm 
Sea Wolf

Given that these AA units once did not even exist, I can appreciate their value.
However, they should come with a big warning label: "Buyer Beware".
They are expensive to protect and are very limited in value.
They should not allow any air unit to travel through! This is something which should be changed. It is contrary to the purported effect of the AA Glow-Perimeter!
I learned the hard way that they aren't as great as I first thought.
They have their place, just like bunkers...careful! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 pm 
Sea Wolf

Rextrent wrote:
Given that these AA units once did not even exist, I can appreciate their value.
However, they should come with a big warning label: "Buyer Beware".
They are expensive to protect and are very limited in value.
They should not allow any air unit to travel through! This is something which should be changed. It is contrary to the purported effect of the AA Glow-Perimeter!
I learned the hard way that they aren't as great as I first thought.
They have their place, just like bunkers...careful! :)

They are often good to protect your rocket launchers from being bommed.
One AA unit on a platform is handy too I can tell you that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:37 pm 
Sea Wolf

I would have to agree with Rextrent--No air units should be able to fly thru the zone protected by the AA units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:08 pm 
Sea Wolf

Truly a fine point which can be corrected by the Brainiac-Squad.
Or do we need a POLL !?......Naah, no POLL necessary for this one.
Can this be looked at by the developers and "fixed"?
Thanks as always. The finishing product is coming together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:58 pm 
Conscript

storm440 wrote:
I don't know why this seems unfair to you. The chopter can not land in the zone protected by the AA but it can land next to it and if it carries a bot it does not even have to unload in the protected zone. Just as you have to protect transports and other passive units, so do you have to consider protecting the AA unit. Personally, I think the AA units are one of the best additions to the original game and I find that in the right situation they are a great addition to your troops and can be the difference between winning or loosing .

Not a matter of fair or unfair. Just seems contrary to what you'd expect. The animations always show the transport lifting off, moving one hex, unloading a unit, and then returning to the orginal hex. That's a lot of movement for a unit that's supposedly "FROZEN" in the AA field.

Seems to me that either the transport shouldn't be able to unload while trapped in the AA field _or_ the animation should be changed so the helicopter remains stationary when loading/unloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:51 am 
Sea Wolf

when you explane it this way I see your point and think it is a valid one. No air unit should be able to enter the zone protected by the AA unit, but it can still bring a bot, rocket launcher or mortar , land them outside the zone and have them attack the AA unit--perhaps taking it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:13 pm 
Veteran

Yes, even though it isn't intuitive, the chopper dosn't move. The animation shows the chopper taking off and leaving, but it really doesn't. It is always the transported unit that pays with movement points! But this looks cooler...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yes, while it looks cool we must assume that the transport chopter is not actuall moving into the zone but simply opening its doors and alowing the tank or whatever ground force it is carrying to move into the protected square. The solution would be for the devlopers to keep the transport chopter stationary, on both loading and unloading, and have the carried unit move to or from the transport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:55 am 
Veteran

This is my opinion too. Please change the animation. Otherwise it's confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:30 am 
Tough Nut

Yes, thats the best way to change it.
The rules how they are make sense, there is a field that can not be penetrated by flying units in any way. not from outside to inside or from inside to outside. but units can still flying over it without flying into it, just like units can fly over neutral countries without attacking them(had to learn that the hard way ;). wether the stats of the AA should be changed is something for another discussion. I think in rare occasions its of good use and thats enough, there are games were AA can make the difference between winning and loosing.

conclusion: the copter animation is confusing and annoying anyway as it takes too long, even if it looks cool. so changing the animation somehow would be good, but I guess the copter has to be designed again from the scratch becoming more similar to the landtransport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:52 am 
Sea Wolf

I agree that changing the transport chopper animation would be helpful.

At this point, it would not be a good idea to change the actual rules of the gameplay. However, "matching" the animation to the gameplay reality would make things less confusing. Plus the current chopper animation is too tedious/slow.