Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:43 pm 
Sea Wolf

Well said, infinite as the default gets my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:46 pm 
Sea Wolf

Very excellent , peaceful warrior. I've heard about the time limit "as an option"...but hope these sage advisories will be heeded and wonder if a mellow patch will be forthcoming....I prefer to wage war placidly. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:05 am 
Sea Wolf

storm440 wrote:
you make a very good point. On another issue, i know you have stated in the past that you think ai games should count in ones' score, but if they are truely "training missions" then i vote that they should not. I think points should only be awarded for victories against actual people in actual non-training battles.

But this game uses Glicko, which isn't like some crappy ranking system e.g. Warcraft III (great game, crap ladder), every game helps the system to identify your score. If you lose your first couple of games against the AI, it simply means you'll gain all the more points from it once you beat it. The more games Glicko has to work with the more accurate your score. Artificially inflating your score by excluding AI games (for fear of loss) just means thatyou'll gain less or lose more when you finally do play someone.

Excluding the AI games from rankings really isn't going to help your score, long-term.

[quote=Rextrent]This will be redundant, but how hard is it to exclude a timer?....Why does it exist?....I played MAN1 and Domination for months, many hours....and I never felt the need to be hurried like I hurry the people who have the misfortune to be driving in front of me in their cars....What is the hangup here?....I'm not going to be snotty like I always am...But this is senseless. [/quote]

If you're going to have real-time games then a timer is a must-have option. I just don't like having it as the only option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:59 am 
Sea Wolf

MAN is not a realtime game...those games have way more preset parameters than MAN, and even with AI, there is really no true comparison. I don't need to go to a library to learn how to grow beets in order to raise up a large population to throw to the natives when they pop out of the invisible part of the world which I haven't explored yet....Please don't even go there....I know an RTS when I see it, for I have no interest whatever in them....When I plopped down $40+ for the Newest Axis And Allies and found that it had been cloned into yet ANOTHER one of those...I gave that game to a friend.
Now maybe you didn't really mean real time....this game MAN has no need for a timer, unless there are two agreeing opponents who just want one, as in a chess game, which is fine, but again, needs to be ONLY an optional choice which must be clicked on and NOT a default please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:28 am 
Sea Wolf

I agree it should only be an option, i think it's mainly for those people that want to play a game in 1 or 2 sittings.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 am 
Sea Wolf

This really is an important issue, and I don't think it falls under the category of "AI Topic"...but as it is important to a lot of players, it needs to be heard, maybe a new thread for the topic , and people need to speak up....Although I've seen nodding of the heads of the Makers, I don't believe it til I've seen it: DEFAULT INFINITY.... :o