Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Random lockups?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 pm 
Levy

Hey, been playing for a while now, had no problem playing through the tutorials but when im playing online the game just completley locks-up.. i can't do anything (except move the mouse and the music is still running) So i have to restart the game every time this happens.

First off, there shouldn't be any hardware problems with my computer (i put it together myself and i do that for work), i can play pretty much any other game without any problems. Also it seems to lock up quite often when i end my round, but it has happened that it locked while i was moving units or whatever.

My computer speccs:
CPU: AMD Barton 2500+ (overclocked to 3200+) (been running it overclocked for a looong time so that's not the problem either)

GFX: Hightech X850XT AGP

Memory: 2x 512 mb "decent quality" memorys in dual channel (don't know the manufacturers name but if it's really needed i can check that..)

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe

Sound: Onboard

Internet connection: Located in Sweden, 10/10 mbit connection, "LAN" type (a city network, fibre in the ground, TP to apartments, one big shared pipe out, 3 EXTERNAL IP adresses (not firewalled in any way)

Some info about the lockups:
I've only been able to finish ONE game so far without any lockups (and that was a fluke it seems, also that was against the computer AI) because sometimes it only take 5 - 10 minutes for it to lock up, but as i said earlier, most of the time it locks when i end my round (hence making me think it's something linked to network traffic)

Should have included all info needed.. If any more is needed just say so..

//RaidSoft

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 am 
Sea Wolf

Hmm, that sounds around the default time for when your game connects to the server. Try setting the option to only connect manually. When you login it has no problem retrieving your turns?

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:39 am 
Levy

yeah i've put it on manually, it seemed to crash less then though but it did crash nevertheless..

never crashed in the menu though, since it only crash sometimes i guess that "problem" haven't occured while i was in the menu..

Only had problems once with connecting to the chat server, other then that haven't really had any problems..

But yeah, setting it to manually stopped quite alot of the "random" lockups while i was moving units or whatnot but still same when i end the turn :<

Edit: i noticed the latest patch had alot of crash fixes, i installed that but it still locked up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 am 
Sea Wolf

Yeah, the game automatically connects when you end your turns. So basically, it sounds like a problem when you connect after going into online mode. Sounds like this is a firewall issue of some kind.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:03 pm 
Levy

yeah, problem is i don't use a firewall :P yes it's insecure etc. but i hate that they use up so much performance..

anyway, if it was a firewall issue that would mean it should do it all the time, not once every 5 - 10 rounds..