Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone noticing speed issues?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:29 pm 
Sea Wolf

When ironing I left the game on the menu to watch my greatest moments in fancy replay glory :)

As the replay goes on, the game seems to become slower (in one replay it seemed to become stuck in permanent slow mo).

I've also noticed that after an extended session, when I quit the game and load other applications like Mozilla Firefox, I can now see them painting the screen e.g. I close Mozilla Firefox and can see the window disappear from the bottom up over the course of a second or so. This would not normally happen and I have not seen this behaviour after using any other application. A reboot resolves the issue.

While in the game I found the purchase menu and placement become less responsive and rather laggy as the game progressed.

I checked my processes and memory and CPU use (after quitting) appear to be normal, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. Minimising this window now causes the painting issue to become obvious.

I've seen this issue before, but only when my graphics card driver has not been successfully installed, and that obviously isn't the case here as, for a start, I can run Massive Assault Network 2.

My specs are:

P4 3Ghz
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Creative Audigy 2

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Last edited by Quitch on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:49 pm 
Tough Nut

Yes i have the same problem and i thought it was just too many players playing at once or something.

My specs are above yours also if i may add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 pm 
Conscript

i have the exact same specs as you and my games will start to lag after a certain spot and sometimes even freeze or crash[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:14 pm 
Conscript

i have the exact same specs as you and my games will start to lag after a certain spot and sometimes even freeze or crash[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:40 am 
Sea Wolf

I have had crashes during the menu and in replays, but never in a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:18 pm 
Tough Nut

Don't think i have had any crashes either, just game logg outs when i play certain players. And them only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:18 am 
Sea Wolf

MAN 2 gets noticeably slower the longer it is left on, the more games are played. I've talked to several players in chat who agreed. Could it be that there are small memory leaks as a holdover from Domination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:19 am 
Sea Wolf

I would say that is most likely, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:40 pm 
Sea Wolf

Placid wrote:
MAN 2 gets noticeably slower the longer it is left on, the more games are played. I've talked to several players in chat who agreed. Could it be that there are small memory leaks as a holdover from Domination?

I read that in the chat and noticed it too now. I thought it had to do with larger maps at first, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Since starting a game on a big map in round 10 so with rather more then less troops didn't give any problem at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:51 pm 
Sea Wolf

Several folks in chat indicated that they had pretty powerful computers (2+ GB RAM, 256+ Video Cards, etc.) and still experienced slowdown after leaving MAN 2 on for a while.

I'm willing to admit that my sub-par computer might be slowing down due to RAM problems, but there seems to be some problem beyond this given what others are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm 
Sea Wolf

i think this game is extreemly cpu intensive. I run the game on 2 different computers, one has a really kick ass water cooler, 2 7800 gt in sli and a amd 3800 processor. i notice no slow downs on that unit. The other has an older water cooler and does slow down somewhat after long sessions. I know the cpu is being taxed by how much it's temp rises with my older unit. The older unit is a amd 3 gig and before i water cooled it, i would sometimes be kicked to windows playing MA for long periods. Both systems have a gig of ram and a lot of case fans so i know the internal case temps are not a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:06 pm 
Veteran

Placid wrote:

I've got similars problems... As I got 1GB of ram, this happens not too fast and I still can play around 2 hours without slowdowns, but after some time of play, the games is begins to slow more and more until it is almost freezed when it reach the memory limit. At this point, the only thing to do is the 'alt-ctrl-del' combo to kill man2 process. Then, if i restart the game, it becomes again quite fast (but troubles are the same if I stay again too long).
I also discussed with lots of guys who had similar troubles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am 
Sea Wolf

I actually tried this, after playing an hour or something on the same game,
it went hard to even type in the chatthingy during the game, and placing
units was a temptation of patience, restarted the game, joined the same game again and no problem at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:15 am 
Sea Wolf

This sounds remarkably like my experience, beginning most noticeable with Domination Sea Switzerland....which made me crazy..."thousands" of slow motion units taking whole seconds to materialize or move...adds up to ...infinity...was told my cpu is crap....maybe so...but....I play pther high-demand games like Painkiller, Microsoft Flight-sim....BUT....thanks to MAN2, I don't need Domination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am 
Conscript

Yes ive talked to quite a few players in man 2 and they are all having the same problem it needs to be addressed by support. It also only started to be slow when the latest patch was released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:01 pm 
Sea Wolf

Madmax wrote:
It also only started to be slow when the latest patch was released.

That I don't know, I just noticed the slowdowns from the time when somebody asked it in the chat.