Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:01 pm 
Conscript

Let me start by saying I'm going to be critical. Don't get all up in arms about it. I believe only good things can come from criticism early in the test.

Not sure what I was expecting here. I think maybe a Combat Mission clone or X-com with larger scale warfare. MA Has more in common with a board game than any Comp game I can think of.

So far I like MA but I feel that it would benifit from more hexes per map and terrain having an effect on combat.

I've got to do alot more playing but this is just my first thoughts.

P.S. has anyone else had the cursor disapear while selecting a unit to move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:11 pm 
Developer

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD class="servtext">Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD class="servtextnormal"><BLOCKQUOTE>
P.S. has anyone else had the cursor disapear while selecting a unit to move?
</BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Could you do some thing:
1) try to start the game in windowed mode (Fullscreen=0 in settings.ini)
2) try to change cursor from software to hardware (softwarecursor=0 in settings.ini)

thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:17 pm 
Developer

Hi,

Hope you'll like it :smile:

This game is indeed simillar to board games, but it definetly doesn't need more hexes. If the sides are equal it would take ~20-30 turns to decide the winner on the large map with a typical turn taking up to 1 hour. I'd prefer to play two games to revenge for the defeat in the first one than be crushed on a turn number 60 in a huge one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:30 pm 
Developer

To Madhouse:

You should play a couple of World Wide Deathmatches with live people (or with AI on "Antarcticus" map). The core idea of Massive Assault is the Secret Allies concept!

Tactical combat resolution - yes, it's simple, like in a boardgame, so that even a kid can play scenarios. But the thing which is supposed to absorb you after you get the idea - is the depth of strategic planning and "conspiracy" you should employ for beating live opponents in the deathmatches.

Each time you have totally new strategic situation - new puzzles requiring new approach and solutions.

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:55 pm 
Conscript

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD class="servtext">Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD class="servtextnormal"><BLOCKQUOTE>
Could you do some thing:
1) try to start the game in windowed mode (Fullscreen=0 in settings.ini)
2) try to change cursor from software to hardware (softwarecursor=0 in settings.ini)

thank you

I am unable to scroll the map down in windowed mode. All other directions work fine but down it doesn't like.

got it working window is just a bit big for my screen :smile:
no problems with the cursor yet

[ This Message was edited by: Madhouse on 2002-12-24 15:58 ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:14 pm 
Developer

I guess your desktop resolution is 1024x768. It it so, set Width=800 and Height=600 in settings.ini.

Got an idea? It will help you to play in windowed mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:15 pm 
Developer

I am unable to scroll the map down in windowed mode. All other directions work fine but down it doesn't like.

Some tips concerning controls.
You can easily control camera by pressing PgUp, PgDown, Home, End, Insert, Delete, plus arrow keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:47 pm 
Conscript

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD class="servtext">Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD class="servtextnormal"><BLOCKQUOTE>So far I like MA but I feel that it would benifit from more hexes per map and terrain having an effect on combat.</BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

I agree with Madhouse on this point.

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD class="servtext">Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD class="servtextnormal"><BLOCKQUOTE>Tactical combat resolution - yes, it's simple, like in a boardgame, so that even a kid can play scenarios. But the thing which is supposed to absorb you after you get the idea - is the depth of strategic planning and "conspiracy" you should employ for beating live opponents in the deathmatches.</BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

But then I can also see what Vic is saying also.

All in all, I like it so far. Do you think that there could be a option to control the camera with the mouse ala Combat Mission instead of using the assigned keys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:53 pm 
Conscript

All in all, I like it so far. Do you think that there could be a option to control the camera with the mouse ala Combat Mission instead of using the assigned keys?

that would be great, especially if you could be zoomed right in on a unit(ie:Looking through it's eyes) as it gets brewed up! ........Bad violent tendencies! bad! bad!

http://www.militarygameronline.com
http://www.megamek.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:12 pm 
Developer

that would be great, especially if you could be zoomed right in on a unit(ie:Looking through it's eyes) as it gets brewed up! ........Bad violent tendencies! bad! bad!

Well, I'm not sure I understood you right but you can move camera using the mouse mid key or mouse wheel (for instance, press the wheel and move the mouse or just roll the wheel for zooming in/out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:23 pm 
Conscript

On 2002-12-24 17:12, artmax wrote:

Well, I'm not sure I understood you right but you can move camera using the mouse mid key or mouse wheel (for instance, press the wheel and move the mouse or just roll the wheel for zooming in/out)

I'm talking about being able to move the camera so that it is at ground level directly behind a unit as the bombs start droping on it's head. I'n this style of game it's really not needed though, just a neat gimmick.

Also why is it the damn comp just keeps pumping out 4 jeeps a turn while I only get 2$ to play with a turn?

In the under pressure senario the AI is making 8 jeeps a turn while I try to save cash for some ranged weapons and take out the darn mortors. Seems that no matter what I do it's a small flood I can't stop and I can't get into the enemy territory he just keeps replacing jeeps faster than I can pop them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:30 pm 
Veteran

yeah it's quite annoying, the flood of tanks and jeeps the computer keeps throwing at you, but it's much fun nonetheless :smile:
it is very useful on maps with several island just to concentrate on one island, where the computer will not be able to come again once he's driven in the sea :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:39 pm 
Developer

:smile: Stop beating that AI :smile: go and try a game or two against each-other. I'm sure it will be much more interesting. And do not disclose all your allies at once - save at least one for turn 6,7,8,... that will keep your opponent guessing.

That hard scenario was designed to test the AI. Moth ago it can be easily beaten up there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:43 pm 
Veteran

roger that sir :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:03 pm 
Developer

"Under Pressure" is really tough scenario.
You must solve a sort of a puzzle.

It was designed to let you feel a bladerunner. You must employ unstandard techniques to win it.

Massive Assault is not an economic strategy!
The one who is smarter wins. Try to use different approach rather than purchasing expensive long-range artillery or filling the holes with Jeeps...

When this scenario is completed, please, report...

Vic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:10 pm 
Conscript

When this scenario is completed, please, report...

Vic

I would but my damn mouse curser turned invisable again! it's done it with hardware and software cursor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:25 pm 
Conscript

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD class="servtext">Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD class="servtextnormal"><BLOCKQUOTE>Do you think that there could be a option to control the camera with the mouse ala Combat Mission instead of using the assigned keys?</BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Ahhh, I see that now. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:28 pm 
Developer

I would but my damn mouse curser turned invisable again! it's done it with hardware and software cursor.

Our programmers will attend this issue.
It'll take some time. Sorry for inconvenience

Vic

[ This Message was edited by: Vic on 2002-12-24 18:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Vic on 2002-12-24 18:31 ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:54 pm 
Conscript

the game feels like battle isle 3, whoever the game knows i liked it.
i think you should balance some units.
first should be. changing the guard tower.
in my opinion, to high range with too much hitpoints. maybe 7 oder 6 hitpoints and range 3 not 4.
there could be some other balancing but i havent played online, just the practice scenarios.

who else thinks about balancing the units?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:06 pm 
Conscript

On 2002-12-24 18:28, Vic wrote:

Our programmers will attend this issue.
It'll take some time. Sorry for inconvenience

Vic

Hey that's what I'm here for! :smile:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next