Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Massive Assault=great!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:27 am 
This is the first wargame brought to my attention and it is excellent!
I've played wargames - real ones with pretty boards, cardboard counters, die, brain-melting rulebook....blah,blah,blah......This is the closest thing to the classic greats like: Russian Campaign , Wooden Ships A.I.M., namely Avalon Hill.....big problem was: what geek could and would play them? Someone who wasn't perpetually trying to blatantly cheat or drool on the board...."my preciousss"....As far as I know cheating is not possible at Massive Ass. It's not surprising that it takes a worldwide site to round up these gamers....quality players, some who really take on human personna by chatting civilly with wit and savoir faire( thanks dictionary).
If this format could be applied to WWII , Avalon Hill:
Tobruk, Russian C., Battle of The Bulge....and so on.....it would be too cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:32 am 
Since I can't edit and jumped the gun.... it's probably obvious I am refering to PC games when I wrote "first war game brought to my attention". dar...anyway....RealTime is bogus....maybe if I was a kid it would be fun....and the only other game out there, over here....is PK!
So yadda yadda Thanks!!!to the creators of Massive Assault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:29 am 
Sea Wolf

quick note, if u registered on the forum then u can edit ur post :) anyway welcome to the MA community.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:33 am 
Sea Wolf

The developers sure did do a good job. Thanks! ;)

Mentor

Clan War Site:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar/

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Master Yoda

Post subject: Re: Massive Ass.=great!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:07 am 
Tough Nut

RexTrent wrote:
If this format could be applied to WWII , Avalon Hill:
Tobruk, Russian C., Battle of The Bulge....and so on.....it would be too cool.

This is why some of us have suggested they make MA moddable. If the user community could make maps, new units and rules variations this game would live for a very long time. All kinds of mods would show up: US Civil War, WWI, WWII, Cold War, current cirsis in the Middle East, hypothetical war in the Taiwan Straight, Ancient Greece, Rome vs. Carthage...the possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Maybe in version 3? At least a map editor (even a crappy one) for the user community would be good so more maps would be available. I'm getting really tired of Antarcticus and Emerald but the other maps are too big or too small for my tastes.

Just look at the map editor for Unreal Tournament 2004. It is very unintuitive to the uninitiated. But people learned how to use it and a handful of really creative players are cranking out high quality maps, mods and completely new game types. Atari doesn't have to devote any developement time to these things. I realize there is a much larger community for first person shooters, but the same thing happened with Steel Panthers.

Anyway...we've been over this before...just wishful thinking, I guess....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:08 am 
Sea Wolf

Yep, a map editor (and the ability to modify units, etc.) would be a great addition to the MA series and would pay dividends in terms of growing and sustaining the MA gaming community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:23 am 
Levy

Yes, a map editor would definitely give the game a longer life. The current arrangement (dev-team only maps) stagnates the creation of user-designed campaigns, because everyone has already played those maps.

Let the mod community create new maps and single-player campaigns, and you will attract a herd of programmers/modders. Yes, the content quality will vary according to skill. But there will be content, and interest in generating it.

BTW, I'm amazed at the skill of the AI! Great work!