Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:52 pm 
Sea Wolf

apparently not, since i "signed up" a couple days ago , even though the post said that deadline is past!....BUT that doesn't mean much, since I've been ignored regarding tournament games disappearing, no support .... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:41 am 
Hi guys,
Don't have much time to play, but I managed to sneak a few turns with AI.

I must say, well done to the developers!! It's shaping up nicely! Now, just make a version for PSP so I can play on my daily journey to work... ;)

Some suggestions for improvement:
1) I definately think there needs to be an option for unlimited time for a turn - for those long and complicated, but very fun battles ;)

2) Midturn save would help a lot. I often have to stop in the middle of a turn and having to redo everything from scratch. This is even more important with the introduction of turn time limits!

3) Time limits work well for fast paced battles, maybe just a couple of suggestions:
Buying new units and disclosure is a very important task, and when frantically moving units in the movement phase it's quite easy to run out of time. I know good players will allocate time for each phase, but still, how about letting the player choose some reminders, since buying units is one of the crucial aspects of the game.

For 10min limit for example, let the player set his limit for guerilla & movement phases to 9min, and for buying & disclosure phases to 1min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:42 am 
Veteran

Ups, that was me :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:25 am 
Sea Wolf

Is the time limit going to be optional?....Hope so. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:45 am 
Sea Wolf

Yes it is. Adding the non time limit for the very good players, would be great(isn't my case :lol: ).

One question. How is the scoring sistem made this time?

Thanks. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:19 am 
Sea Wolf

ANy idea for release date??
Is it really impossible to get into the testing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:51 am 
Developer

Antonio Manero wrote:
Yes it is. Adding the non time limit for the very good players, would be great(isn't my case :lol: ).

One question. How is the scoring sistem made this time?

Thanks. :-)

Unlimited option for games will be added - too many people requested this so far.

Gliko rating will be programmed - now we use quite strange system that adds and subsctract scores. We find it quite weird, so this is for BETA only.

Rextrent wrote:
ANy idea for release date??
Is it really impossible to get into the testing

Approximately, Feb 2006.
Please e-mail us and we send you the link with BETA.

Best Regards,
Nick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:48 pm 
Sea Wolf

Are we going to see the "equal unit" in the beta? (I mean where both teams have same unit's.. mentioneded somewhere on the forum..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:04 am 
Developer

Yes, please expect patch after New Year holidays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:41 pm 
Sea Wolf

Hey!....There's no large group here!..... :roll:
Really appreciate the opportunity to get in on this game...!....Thanks for going minimal on graphics demands....guess it only makes sense when appealing to large audience....and super-graphics-freaks can up the juice if so desired....
If the eyeball appears, you're on real time....very neat...as close to real time as I want to get....gnome sane?.... :o
Happy new year.....be careful or else the man might pick you up and give you a ride....God Bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:18 pm 
Sea Wolf

Is their anything to gain for the beta testers? :D

(Yeah this seazon gives me a "gimme gimme gimme" greedy feeling)

I beta tested Rollercoaster Tycoon Wild! and their was a kind of competition, a small number of people who spotted the most bugs received a free copy of RCT Wild! .

Although.. seeing my name somewhere in a thanks list would be great too :D

Happy newyear all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:51 pm 
Sea Wolf

Casual players will definitely not want a timer ticking down....nor any hassles dealing with it....
It's interesting to play the old maps w/new units...very nice game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:34 pm 
Sea Wolf

Uhm, when playing against AI enemy, why does it take so long before you can choose the speed? It's almost everytime at their reinforcement round until I can change the speed.
And then I do change it, but can't change it back next round 'cause I need to wait again so long before the speed thing comes up.

Is their a key to get the speedmenu up or is their an other trick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:21 pm 
Sea Wolf

My guess is the AI is processing its move as you watch it. MAN2 is unique that there is no set aside AI processing time.

You can do the fast-forward/skip when the AI is done processing its plans for its turn.

This is totally a guess though...

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:24 pm 
P.L. Marshal

press ALT+tab and switch to doing something else...then get back when AI finishes thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:28 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'd still like to see a "think time" setting for the AI. Every chess game under the sun has it, and they have it for a reason. I really don't see why so many games avoid AI settings of this nature when so much AI is processor, brute force dependant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:12 pm 
P.L. Marshal

by the way - what for do you need playing AI at all? it is not really a match for players of high level.
It does it's function of n00b-training relatively okay.And it's all what can be required from AI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:04 pm 
Sea Wolf

yes...the timer deal is really not that great of a selling-factor...not worth so many hassles....if I get a phone call or something during the game, it becomes a nonessential hassle.....really. There are only a few who really need it....and is it really needed?.... :roll:
no is the answer.....sometimes simplicity is beautiful.
It is a kick playing AI when 10 minutes becomes a race to make all the moves....might even become challenging!
Reminder! .....Be COOL.....Marshalls and developers included....rudeness doesn't fly! Been there and you know it. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:06 am 
Sea Wolf

Mrakobes wrote:
by the way - what for do you need playing AI at all? it is not really a match for players of high level.
It does it's function of n00b-training relatively okay.And it's all what can be required from AI.

Because that's not what an AI is for, the whole point of an AI is to be as human like as possible. A five second thing is not going to achieve that, and from what I recall in my discussions about the Domination AI, the biggest factor in what it could do was the limit to the depth of its searches (especially for transport behaviour), and what limits that depth? Processor time.

Give the AI a time increase from five seconds to five minutes and you should see quite the improvement in its behaviour.

You can play online as much as you wish, but not everyone has that time, or wants that pressure, or even plays the game at a time when other people still do (say, five years from now).[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:33 am 
Sea Wolf

If it "only takes 5 seconds" then I wonder why AI doesn't act for 40-50 seconds around turn 15 and beyond..

I've noticed though, that moving the field makes the AI working immediatly, if I don't move the field, the above comes true.

Why do I play against AI? To learn moves for myself, to practice since I'm a noob in MAN.

Btw I don't think that giving the AI more "thinking time" will make a difference, do you know how many calculations can be done in 5 seconds?
It needs a better move programation, but I don't think that's easy to program.. Chique that it exists anyway.

It seems like AI is getting smarter too. In my first few games against AI I never saw it using copters. (both transport or attack copters) Now I see it a lot. Could be my imagination too ofcourse :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next