Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

which features improve in priority for this game ?
Ergonomy of the game (i.e. simpler network interface, stability of the game, ...) 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Visual and aspect of the game (i.e. better graphics and sounds) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Artificial Intelligence (i.e. hard AI opponent, possibility to have different levels of skills, ...) 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Strategy and game rules (i.e. new units types, possibility to play with more than 2 players on the same map, ...) 33%  33%  [ 22 ]
Developed Clan War and Tournament systems 45%  45%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: which features improve in priority for this game ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:42 am 
Veteran

As I've discussed with some guys of Wargaming recently, we came to discussing possible ameliorations of the game. Personnally, one of the domain I really would like to see improved is the Artificial Intelligence engine of this game. Of course, this is not an easy task and i understand that lots of resources can be needed to obtain a significant result (even if this can be discussed, but that's not the point of this post). On the other hand, given the fact that the development resources are limited for this game, the more general question came to me : if developers decided to put enough resources to make a big change (let say a very big patch or even a MAN3 :wink: ), what are the things they should improve first ?
That's why I decided to make this poll. In order to see what are the player's opinion about the changes that could have the greater impact on the quality of this game.

In my opinion, there are 5 big important categories that can be improved (I dont pretend to be exhaustive in this way to classify things and if you see others ways or others categories that i've forgot, please tell me)
So, according to you, what is the most important category amongst theses 5 ones ?

Last edited by Pitor on Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:54 am 
Sea Wolf

I'm all about the clan wars :).

For me, this game shines because the intense strategy and tactics involved in a deterministic game such as this. Resource management, unit manuvering, and land control are all broken down to a simplicity that makes great strategy possible. This alone makes the MA series the absolute epitome of the genre in my book.

Play to your strengths, I say. The only way to add additional strategy is to add another layer on top of it, which is where clan wars came in at their heyday during the original MAN. Clan wars and tournaments added new life and style to this game, and gave more people a reason to keep coming back.

AI can be a great tool to teach and refine in my opinion, but you're not ever going to get the full depth of the game until you face a live opponent who has mastered Massive Assault.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:42 pm 
Sea Wolf

If the game ran very smoothly i would be inclined to vote for the clan wars but there still are glitches in the actual game play and the game interface and these things have to be fixed before we move on to other things. Also, I question the need for a better AI. Is not the AI simply to teach the basics to new players and as such why does it need to be strengthened? Perhaps some will disagree but i have found no shortage of human players that constantly provide new challanges and new supprises. If we make playing the AI more compelling than playing an actual human I think the game will take a giant step backward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:43 pm 
Veteran

I voted for Clan Wars because you asked for the next big step. But I would rather have todays bugs and flaws fixed than thinking of MAN3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:28 am 
Sea Wolf

For me it's all about humans opponents, so ai is a low priority.

But I'd rather be beating several humans than just one. For me expanding the game to accomidate multiple players in the same game would be the next best step.

Like mael mentioned we've tried our own version of clan wars and yes it was fun, but there were some issues. Being able to work with a partner in a 2v2 in the same game would be more fun I think (and more tactical) than the clan wars.

Unfortunately these need to be put on hold until the recent server problems have been sorted, waiting 5minutes for a challenge to be sent is no fun.

Dragonshard Fan Site: http://www.rpgplanet.com/dragonshard/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:09 pm 
Sea Wolf

Game Rules improvement and official Clan Wars are most interesting. I would prefer both directions the same time, but the first is relatively minor job while Clan Wars is a real challenge.

Hm. Let it be MMO!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:25 pm 
Sea Wolf

1)game rules improvement

2)clan war & tournament systems (with battles on maps as much as possible balanced)

3)stability of the game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:34 pm 
Sea Wolf

when you say "game rules" improvement, what do you have in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:35 am 
Sea Wolf

well for me AI isn't a real goal as i prefer play against human.

so the next step would be clan war or stratйgic games rules.

1) clan war is quite interresting but not very easy to implement or to rules as we saw in clan war in MAN 1.
my main wish is to get a clan war back.

2) stratйgic aspect seems to be interresting too and very open and easier to make (dйpending on what is added).

adding new unit would be cool.
possibility to design map would be great too.

so it's mainly a question of choice and capabily to reach a goal...

rotm clan website :
http://rotm.free.fr/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:49 am 
Sea Wolf

a map editor would also be a great thing to have, i know it's been talked about before and that the 3d aspect of the graphics is what is stopping there being a map editor, mayb having some standard poorer looking graphics for a map editor, which could be redone by the dev's if the map is good enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:43 am 
Sea Wolf

storm440 wrote:
when you say "game rules" improvement, what do you have in mind?

I mean something like: 1) a new type of planes to face for example the new (Pl's) letal weapons. 2) the possibility to parachute various units on enemy land. 3) the chance for fighting (on large maps) against different (3,4,5,) players etc. searching for occasional or enduring alliances with them directly in the battlefield.

....maybe im a dreamer! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:59 pm 
Sea Wolf

I like the idea of having a air transport that you could load up to 4 units on and jump from one capital to another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 am 
Sea Wolf

I agree that a map editor would be my #1 priority. I vote for strategic improvements, though. New units or types of gameplay always add more depth to the already great concept.Clan wars obviously will be nice too. The devs have done a good job supporting MAN 2, which is encouraging - so stability is not an issue for me. AI is not worth consuming the devs time; humans are always going to be the best challenge.

Notice that no one has voted for better graphics yet. Devs, don't waste time revamping the bells and whistles for MAN 3 when the time comes; concentrate on strategy/gameplay, features like clan wars, editors, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:53 pm 
Tough Nut

Graphics, Sounds & CLAN WARZZZZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:53 am 
Sea Wolf

Very interesting options - My first reaction (and my vote) was Clan Wars. But the more I think about it - the more I like the idea of 3 playes - or 2 vs 2.

It seems that this may be easier to achieve than Clan Wars? Maybe not - Questions that pop to mind are...

How would the points work? Winner Takes ALL? In a 3 player game - Two Captains could easily take out a Marshal. Then they would turn on each other. The posibilities are endless.

Maybe 2 vs 2 is better - more even - probably easier to work out the points.... 2 vs 2 could also be part of Clan wars where team play will be everything.

Anyway - the more I think about thresomes and 2v2 the more complicated it gets. Still a cool idea tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:03 am 
Sea Wolf

I think that games with more than 2 plaeyrs would need to be simultaneous. Otherwise a turn would take forever, it'd have to be broken down into phases. This woudl work fine except for who gets guerrillas and how would movement work?

Guerrillas: Not too sure, maybe the ai would control them?

Movement: A few ideas..
Each unit moves 1 space, then anotehr then another (up to their max)

Units with 5 movement move 1 space
Then units with 4 movement more 1 etc...
Prob with this is loading units, solution could be loading is done before movement? but then you have problems with loading units mid move.
IF 2 units try to move into the same space they both remain in the space they started in, they both do damage to eachotehr equal to their attack values. If a unit trys to move into another, they do damage to eachother.

Just a few thoughts on the obvious problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:32 am 
Sea Wolf

i think anything other than team play--ie clan wars--should not be of interest.
This whole MAN concept is about matching wits with your opponent in a fairly equal battle. How can haveing a situation where 2 players gang up on a 3rd be in keeping with this concept--no matter how good the 3rd is he is going to get wiped out by the other 2. If this appeals to someone i am sure that there are online "risk" games they can play because this concept is the basis for Risk--not MAN2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 pm 
Sea Wolf

Yeah, there's a lot to consider when looking at multiple players for MAN. Some others were brought up here:

http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2875

One of the biggest problems is time. Games take quite some time as is, unless you can sit and complete a game in one sitting, which is finally possible now. Even then, though, you greatly increase the time needed for a single game when you go 3 or 4 players.

NWO website:
http://www.freewebs.com/massiveassault-nwo/index.htm

Clan War website:
http://www.massiveassault.com/clans/nwo/ClanWar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:55 pm 
Sea Wolf

Well I wouldn't mind playing a fun, long multiplayer MAN-like game. However, it has already been noted that creating a *balanced* turn-based game for multiple players is a challenge.

I agree with storm440 that MAN will always be at its best 1 on 1. Multiplayer MAN, however it might work, would surely be a quite different game. I am interested in that different sort of game, but it wouldn't replace the 1 on 1 battles I enjoy now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:25 pm 
Tough Nut

I would prefer a better AI. And much bigger maps, so that I can play for days on one game. (x times New Switzerland or bigger)

I would also like to have
-water cities (or underwater)
-space assets (colonies/satellites or stations)
-teleporter gates were you can send one unit per turn through it to another gate on the map
-interceptors
-better use of antiaircraft, or cheaper (2$ instead of 3)
-naval - anti aircraft
-2 or more different map planes (eg. planet/space/underwater/subterranean) with some interaction between those (SAMs, combat moles or orbital landing crafts etc)

ok, enough, sorry for these many wishes (just a little bit brainstorming) :)