Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hidden moves
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:42 pm 
Tough Nut

I was thinking that it would be good to have some form of hidden moves in MAN2.

Rather than having fog of war or some other major change to the game I think it could be achived by not allowing inspection of transport cargo. Are those transports empty and just their to distract me or are they full of tanks? It would still be possible to try to remember what moved into transports - but it gets difficult to be sure after a few moves.

The only drawback is that replays could be used to study the transport moves - and we don't want to save and replay every game turn. Perhaps replays could be disabled until the end of the game when 'hidden movement' option is selected.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:08 pm 
Developer

Everything that could be tracked, written anywhere should not be hidden. Otherwise we just add problems to players. I don't think such obstacles could be appreciated by players. I suggest you to make a poll. The result would answer your question but one is obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm 
Veteran

artmax wrote:
Everything that could be tracked, written anywhere should not be hidden. Otherwise we just add problems to players.

You're right. I won't like to play Memory in MAN2. ;-)

Post subject: Like it or not?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 am 
Conscript

It would add a dimension of unknown and alter plans merely by moving transports close to the battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:02 pm 
Tough Nut

I agree it should not turn into a memory game. It all about adding bluff and risk and therfore reducing the value of exact calculation in the gameplay.

To solve this memory problm and stick with the transports idea: the loading transport graphic would have to be disabled when viewing the turn. With some smart tactics you could then ensure the passengers could not be tracked.

For example one sea transport and one land transport are next to a tank. The enemy just sees the tank disapear and both transports move. If one of those tranports then passes a third transport the enemy won't know if they swapped passengers. After just a turn or two it would be very hard to guess where the passengers are. This is in addition to disabling the replay until the end of the game.

I think a partial Fog Of War option like this would add another dimension to the tactics and introduce more 'human' gameplay. Risk takers and Careful playes would adopt differnt strategies because it would no longer be possible to win the next move just by counting hexes, units for and against etc.

Artmax, how do I start a poll - is there a forum option?

Regards
Gunrunner