Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm 
Sea Wolf

If you really want to make things weird, why don't we just make transporter available? That way you could move units from any point on the map to any other point as long as you had a portal at both points. But seriously, it seems to me that the game has plenty of depth as it is and the stratigic element is almost limitless, so why try to make it even more complex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:14 am 
Sea Wolf

I have seen this argument played over and over again - usually by those that have played enough to know but not enough to know better (I am not excluded from that list - see previous posts).

I rarely use towers - (probably because I am more offensively focused) but have seen them used effectively.

As for pill boxed - they are excellent - just dont buy ALL pill boxed on a border - by 50% - especially on the edges - an you have increased you ability to kill a unit in a single turn by having more units shoot one target.

They all have their place.

To change the cost of a tower (say to $3) would could mean that every game ends in a whole series of towers over a map.... not sure

(as I said - I rarely buy them - because I think the good players know how to kill them quickly - but - rextrent has used them against me many times and stuffed up my attack plans -its all about the map geography - forrest, mountains - deserts etc.)

Play the top 20 and you will learn some neat tricks. (Morn has one special trick I promised never to mention again - all I can say is watch out :)

But all these discussion stimulate the imagination.

The game is fine as it is - its balanced - fun - and addictive.

If its not broken - dont mess with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:16 am 
Sea Wolf

You--Ravermister--offensively focused? Who would have thought that to be true :wink: Next you will try to tell us that the sky is blue and it is wet when it rains :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:46 am 
Veteran

Usually I buy pillboxes when I know that I'm gonna lose this country. And like ravermeister I rarely use towers. They are too vulnerable and most of the time it's better to use other units instead.

@ravermeister: I doubt that I'm the only one who has performed it in this way. ;-)

The guys who designed that game are very good. They even have left room for a 3rd MAN. Have you realized that there is no land unit yet which can fire exactly over three hexes?

The only flaw in the system is the secret allies concept. It's very special and unique but if you got a bad layout and you play against a skilled player you're going to lose no matter what. But this is probably something for another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:58 am 
Sea Wolf

Bad Layout? That is the only reason any of us lose--is it not? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:14 pm 
Veteran

@storm: Yeah, of course. Don't tell me that you have ever lost a game for some other reason. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:39 pm 
Tough Nut

Well I don't see anything wrong really with extending the use of units that already exist in the game, whats the diff if I can load battleships, destroyers etc. into a sea transport, the amphibian is both land and sea capable, and it's loadable into land and sea transports. The land transport already has a max of 8 points, but the sea transport can carry up to 24 points. Thats a big difference, so why not allow any weapon that can move into the mix, then both would be consistent with sea-24 land-12. Complex? sure why not?

That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:01 am 
Sea Wolf

Balance

Showing up un-anounced with destroyers from halfway accross the map via a chain of 4 transports is just plain rude :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:24 am 
Sea Wolf

Also, you can not load the toad into a land transport or onto a battle platform now because it has been deemed "too big". I think that same concept carries over to the sea units ie: how can you load a battleship into a unit that is smaller than the battleship. A very good part of this game is the balance between units--you know if you choose a toad you get 5 attack and 11 hit points but you trade the mobility you would have had if you had chosen a tank and bot for the same cost. With the tank and bot you gain mobility and 1 hit point but if one is destroyed you lose some attack. This type of balance provides both benefits and negatives for each unit chosen so they have to be chosen carefully and with thought. If you remove the negative from any choice you make, it diminishes the game--in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 am 
Tough Nut

I am just saying that there is a disparity between the land and sea transport, 8 points vs 24, that is unfair as well, a way to equal that out is to make the sea transport cost 4 instead of 2 . As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see toad loadable in the land transport. As far as being too big? come on, this is fantasy anyway muahahahaha.

That's what learning is, after all; not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.