Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tough competition
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 am 
Conscript

I wanted to thank all the people involved in this tournament. I have enjoyed the play and stratergy needed to compete. I have moved up because alot of the top players have dropped out. I notice that there is a big gap between the top players and myself. Are there any top players willing to share their ideas with me? I realize at times placement helps but with the better players they can usually overcome and thats where I need some insight to compete.

thanks

Yellowfoil :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:06 am 
Developer

There're a lot of themes for discussing:
new tournaments,
clanwars developing,
tactic and strategy,
web-site improvements, ...

;)

Post subject: Re: Tough competition
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:24 am 
Veteran

KGM1117 wrote:
... Are there any top players willing to share their ideas with me? I realize at times placement helps but with the better players they can usually overcome and thats where I need some insight to compete. ...

Well, at first you should internalize these strategy tips:
-> http://massiveassault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9423

If you have done that you should watch replays from top players like Rocklizard, AHgpeu, Pitor, 1_MortonHQ and Tywer. There are a lot of other players but imho these are the top five. You can learn much if you watch and rewatch them. Pay attention to things like:
What countries were disclosed first?
What units they have used in what situation?
and so on ...

If you play against other players take your time and think! It's a turn based strategy game where you have time to do that. Unless you play with an in-game time limit which you shouldn't do anyway because it's not appropriate for this kind of game. But I know this is arguable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:10 am 
Sea Wolf

You can also ask your opponent to give you some advice (after the game). I have no problem offering suggestions or telling someone i played what i was thinking when i played them and what mistakes i thought they, or I made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 am 
Sea Wolf

This from a not-so-goodnick:
Some players, as listed above and so on, probably have an intuitive ability to make good choices and play excellent games.
People like myself can play a truly good game against tough competition only if I take a long time to rehearse possible choices and outcomes.
Getting into time pinches, allowing your list (of games) to get too long, is not conducive to playing ones best. Keep the list short enough to be playable and not get threatened with time-outs.
The larger the map and the longer the game continues, the greater the possibilities and variabilities, and thus the longer your brain must continue sparking in concentrated effort.
It has paid off for me to get to the end of a loong turn and rewind all the way to the beginning or just exit and return later.
I have accidentally rewound farther than desired and, after much cursing, realized that there were several tiny details which I could alter to perfect my turn.
The brain is definitely comparable to a computer...and I have a Commodore 64 (many of you would have to look this up to know what it is).
Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:23 am 
Conscript

I've spent some time playing this game and enjoy it immensely. I keep my games to 10-15 at a time and play daily. This tournament was fun and helped get quality opponents which also gave me plenty of defeats. Best of luck to all and enjoy the holidays with family & friends.

Will there be new maps or more tournaments like this in the future?

Yellowfoil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:29 am 
Tough Nut

I joined late, but it seems like a good format. We should have another next year. The only thing I would suggest is that inactive players are dropped out a bit quicker. I had half my games uncontested in each round.