Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: End game "features"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:33 pm 
Veteran

The first MA had two minor "features" which are missing from MAN2.

1) The ability to send your opponent messages after the game is over. When one person won, either player could view the final map and use the Enter key to send messages. I had a number of enjoyable post-game debriefing discussions with my opponents. It's awkward to do that with MAN2 because you have to exit the game, find the player in the list and send a message. And you can't link you messages to certain portions of the board - as I understand it, when my opponent views my turn his view flys to where my view was when I left him a message: hence, linking your messages to certain places on the board. As in: "HERE's where my main attack was supposed to go..."; change view; "however, your attack over HERE caused me to reconfigure"; change view "unfortunately the mountains HERE slowed my support such that I couldn't effectively counter and you won." change view "I thought about attacking HERE"; change view "but I was worried about your navy HERE". This small feature change would greatly increase strategic discussion, something I find a little lacking.

2) The computer surrenders too soon. I'd like the option to continue a battle until 100% balance is reached. I could try out new tactics and units I don't usually use. More importantly, the massive navy I've been building all game would have a chance to crush his puny fleet of destroyers and one or two battleships. Or the attack copter army I just spent $30 on could lead the final assault on his (oops - her) main strong hold :)

Thoughts???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:04 pm 
Sea Wolf

I think you are too advanced of a player to worry about how soon the computer surrenders (or to take pleasure in beating the AI) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:42 am 
Sea Wolf

OPTIONS !!
Something I support. :wink:
How dificult would some options be to develop and implement?
The above options and others as I have proposed (Replay-Setups)
would ONLY increase interest and playability.
People LOVE options ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 pm 
Veteran

storm: you flatter me as a way of dismissing my idea? well played - you are as cunning with language as you are on the battlefield :)

nonetheless, i do occasionally take pleasure in wasting poor little kate / emily, even though i tell myself it's only to learn a new map or experiment with new strategies or ally densities). she always seems to quit right before my deathblow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:27 am 
Conscript

Well I like the ideas he is proposing. But here is something I found out I played the AI on Sea Swissterland and won when the percent reahed 100% and I was playing on low allies. So it would drag out AI games as make it more fun or boring it depends. So can you decide not to finish it or continue it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm 
Conscript

why not make it easier for the programmer and everyone else:

Have the AI send a surrender screen and allow the player to accept it or not. Then proceed 3-5 turns before doing it again?

A simple message like sending a message in game (not chat) with some writing saying _____ wants to surrender, then accept, or deny for the buttons would be all that is necessary.

Gosh, that would be very easy. Besides, less code=less bugs, and this is the shortest thing I can think of.

Then everyone can have there cake and eat it too.

Peace ya all, I am out.

-Chiv