Clanwar was interesting. But in my opinion, some things were missing/problematic (ok, it's a little caricatural
1) When a clanwar ends, we can just start another one. No continuity
2) As a player you rely much on the other (the planet can be lost despite you or another player have won a difficult game, this was sometimes discouraging or stressing)
3) As always in games with more than two sides, the essential is not to win battles but to have good alliances. Better to play to Diplomacy in this case.
4) I think that few players were playing clanwar compared to the total number of players
5) It was a little difficult to enter a running clanwar for a new player and waiting for a new one was very long
6) The war was often slow due the synchronisation, the majority of the players waiting one or two players that was not able to play during a given time.
Nobody would be interested in a more global war ? I mean a kind of neverending war between FNU and PL in a "persistent" world, where player could own the planets they conquer (eventually developping them). The more they win battles, the more they get planets but these planets would have to be defend (for example, each time a planet is attacked, the player get a chance to attack an ennemy planet). The best players could be responsible of sectors in addition, thus defining strategies for these sectors... The players could enter the war when they want and play the number of battles they want, when they want.
It's just somes ideas without having really think about it.